Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Connection: Hassan = A Bridge Over Troubled Water

Hassan acts like Amir's bitch, and it's tragic. No matter what atrocities Amir puts him through, he can always count on Hassan forgiving him. About twice a page you witness him make some sort of personal sacrifice for Amir. What does he ever receive in return? I specifically chose to compare Hassan to a bridge because Amir treats him exactly like that: he uses him for personal benefit by stepping on him. "Like a bridge over troubled water, I will lay me down." A line that seems to fit on multiple levels, some of which I regret noticing.

It's not even that he's stupid, he's illiterate because he lacks opportunities to receive an education. It's also not exactly a brown-nose type of relationship. So what is it that makes him so devoted to Amir? The social implications of being a Hazara in Afghanistan? That could be it, after all he is Amir's servant. But freedom of personal thought is something that will never be taken away (and in the event that it is, then God/Allah/Yahweh help us all), and Hassan's devotion seems to be legitimate. The only reason I can possibly think of is friendship, and Amir really isn't a great paragon of that. He flat out refuses to acknowledge Hassan as a friend in the early stages of the book.

I have nothing more to say, and I have no doubt some poor souls who have to read this will disagree with me. Sorry.

1 comment:

  1. Chen,

    I completely agree with you. You address the important aspects of Amir and Hassan's relationship on multiple levels. I agree that Amir offers absolutely nothing in return for Hassan's unwavering loyalty; no gratitude, no empathy, not even friendship. Like you said, it's just a "brown-nose" type of relationship.

    Also, I really like the way you incorporated the song, "Bridge Over Troubled Water" into your thought and I think that it fits very well.

    The post is blunt, but I don't think writing it any other way would get the same message across in the same efficiency. Well done.

    ReplyDelete

 
Email Me!