Sunday, September 13, 2009

Carry It Forward: The Blue Sweater

Speaking (writing) honestly, I will admit that I didn't like The Blue Sweater very much. I can agree that the story told was significant, but towards the end my interest in it steadily diminished. That being said, I did like the theme of compromise that it offered, the compromise between profit and charity. While this is not the specific idea that I will carry forward, it is an embodiment of it.

The concept of searching for the middle ground between two extremes in order to reach maximum efficiency is something that makes a lot of sense to me. It took Novogratz many attempts and years to reach this, but it seemed to have been worth it. The ability to find the perfect balance in anything would prove to be a valuable skill to have. Unfortunately, I don't think I've ever been able to accomplish this in any area of my life. Great. This is specifically why I'd like to "carry it forward": if I had any semblance of an idea on how to pull a Novogratz, I feel that life might pose less problems to me. Maybe not. But I'll still hang on to the idea.

The ways in which I'd apply it are infinite and depend on what kind of life I might live. I could be investing in stocks and find myself faced with a choice of a high-risk-massive-profit approach or a more conservative strategy. Going someplace in the middle would obviously rock. (This particular situation is similar to that of Novogratz.) My point is that the idea can be applied to basically any problem, so I feel like an idiot listing possible scenarios. I'll stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Email Me!