Monday, May 3, 2010

Metacognition: Jane Eyre Writing Assignment

Grouping up with Sean Sackett-Ferguson for an english writing assignment could have been the biggest mistake of my life. But it wasn't. Despite a period of minimal productivity at first, we managed to pull together an efficient strategy not unlike an assembly line.
One of the main objectives of the project was to connect Jane's story to one of modern times. Essentially, this asked us to examine the book and find the elements that make it a classic - the components that are applicable to the human race regardless of the limits of time. This type of thinking was fairly difficult, as thinking of any story within our time period wouldn't do: solid connections had to be drawn also.
What interested me about trying to remember movies or books that I knew with similar themes was that I could clearly remember the emotions and themes themselves, but never the title or specific characters in the story. This suggests to me that most of the films I watch or books I read convey to me the underlying, complex ideas very well, but I'm not as good at remembering specific plotlines or details. It was an experience similar to having a word on the tip of your tongue, it's the definition that stuck in your head well, not the letters of the word.
Looking back, our work on this assignment turned out fairly well in terms of collaboration and cooperation. There were no fistfights over the nature of a certain quote, and no household pets were killed in the process either. That alone should be enough to consider this project a smashing success.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Email Me!