Saturday, April 24, 2010

Metacognition: Jane Eyre

Reading very dense texts can be a grueling task. Heart of Darkness was possibly one of the hardest books I've ever had to read, though not unenjoyable. Jane Eyre was slightly easier to get through, but challenging nonetheless.

Prior to starting, I will admit that I was dreading the long journey ahead: I had read the book at a younger age and I remembered almost nothing of the plot, only that it had been a nightmare to read. This second time through however, was much better. Brontë's extensive descriptions of nature and though processes took concentration, but held their rewards too.

One thought that I tried to keep in my head as I read was Brontë's personal place in history: the heavily discussed role of a 19th century woman. Knowing that this book was a classic, and that Brontë had personal experience of the life of a 19th century female, I focused my reading towards trying to realize that she was expressing opinions on social structure though her story - another subject that we discussed extensively.

One of the things I like most about art is that the creator has intent. The intent to express emotion, the intent to send a message, the intent to spread an idea. Even if I don't completely understand what the artist is trying to say, it's invigorating to know that there was an overlying purpose behind the notes, brushstrokes, words, movements, or any other forms of expression utilized.

That being said, an art piece usually can be better understood if one strives to find more meaning in it, be it the meaning that the artist intended, or a meaning that you yourself find in it. As usual, class discussions on Jane Eyre lead to places I doubt I would have reached by myself. The interpretation of a novel is a complicated process, and grouping together thinkers can create a helpful environment.

My thinking process for this book didn't change drastically from my normal approach to novels. An emphasis on author's intent seemed to help me understand it better, though it also caused frustration when going through complicated passages with ambiguous interpretations (for example, the last two paragraphs of the book). However, complexity is one of the traits that give this book its status as a classic, and I respect that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Email Me!