Thursday, February 18, 2010

Best of Today: The Horror

When trying to interpret a dense book by myself, I find that I often miss the most important points and connections. Listening to people mull over the text in class is tedious, but pays off in the end when new interpretations are shared.

Something that I completely missed while reading the book was the connection between Kurtz's Intended and his last words. The idea that 'the horror!' was a reference to the fiancee shows a very interesting level of the book; I'm glad that it was a topic of discussion today.

Reading Heart of Darkness is difficult, analyzing it is near traumatic. Having a group of other minds to approach it with (along with two teachers packing previous experience with the novel) is immensely helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Email Me!