Thursday, January 7, 2010

Metacognition: 1st Semester

Academically, sophomore year has seemed to have gone more or less as I planned so far. The daily routine has settled in, the natural flow of things has started up. One word comes to mind when I think of English class this year: different. We've tackled stuff ranging from Shakespeare to philosophy, fictional memoirs to acting. Variety seems to be the driving force behind our studies. Throughout these months, I feel that I've learned some things about my writing that never really would've popped up otherwise: I need to maintain focus when working on essays, my paragraphs don't transition well, etc.

Currently I'm reading Eric Clapton's autobiography. My initial expectations: "The guy's not a writer, he's a blues guitar god. This book will be a good story written in a mediocre manner." I was wrong. While he is no Charles Dickens, he writes with an honesty and reflective attitude that bares his soul for all to see. What allows such linguistic skills to manifest themselves? To be a good writer, one needs creativity and the ability to harness it. I find that I'm severely lacking in both departments.

That being said, perhaps this school year will provide ample opportunities to improve. Gradewise, English this year has been harder. That's a good sign. Only through struggle do we become stronger. Let it be noted that by no means am I saying last year was too easy; that would be arrogant and false.

A discussion this year that stuck with me fairly well was held during our examination of Sophie's World. It concerned some pretty heavy material involving God, the creation of the universe, and Luc waking from his eternal slumber to contribute his knowledge on the topic. Certain subjects that come up during English discussions resonate well with me simply because I've pondered them on my own before. I really like this aspect of our class.

Soon we will enter the second half of the school year. Things to expect: essays, active reading, and... poetry? Things to work on: writing, speaking in addition to listening during discussions. See you on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Email Me!