Monday, November 16, 2009

iMedia: Canon Rock

Christmas is getting closer and closer. Maybe not too close, but close enough. Anyway, this song reminds me of wintertime and Santa Claus, nevermind the fact that it's really not affiliated with Christmas at all, so I decided it would serve well for this post.

This particular version of Pachelbel's Canon is quite different from more traditional performances and recordings in that it's played on an electric guitar. Now if you just turned your nose up in disgust and/or sighed with a disappointed face, bear with me a little longer. The song isn't completely butchered; in fact I view it as an opportunity for two different time eras to meet each other through the greatest medium possible: art. Music, to be specific.

Can I be a truly unbiased listener when comparing this version to others? Probably not, the reason being that this recording was the first Canon that I ever heard. Nevertheless, I'll put my opinion out there that this performance is just as good as any made by some grand symphony orchestra or virtuoso pianist.

If you search "canon rock" on YouTube, lots of performances will pop up. This one is the shining star among them all. Not too heavy, not too mellow, not too long, not too short. You can listen intensely, you can listen easily. There's really no way of describing it, the piece is just beautiful. It also really lets you compare more classical, traditional styles of music with modern forms. It starts off with a soothing orchestral introduction, then slowly builds into the guitar driven body.

The combination of modern and traditional elements of music really in this piece really is what makes it interesting. I feel that it illustrates the connections that exist between all types of music; to me, musical genres simply represent differing methods of expression. I may not like all these methods, but I must be humble enough to admit that they are methods of expression.

Music has changed dramatically throughout the passage of its development. Change is not always universal; conflict is always created. What Canon Rock tries to accomplish is to tie together two differing styles of expression, two phases of music's long life. I respect that.

Canon Rock

For comparison - another, more traditional version, just as beautiful: Canon Non-Rock

4 comments:

  1. Jason, I agree with your statement that we have to accept every genre of music, because they are all different kinds of the same art form. Also, I think that the synthesis of traditional and modern music is what make it great. Technically, every great piece will bring in old musical values and try to make something new happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with both Chen and Pat here. The great thing about music is that we have so many combinations and varieties available. Rock and classical? A perfect mix new and old. When an artist adds on to the old stuff and puts their own spin on things, magic happens.

    For instance, the band Coheed and Cambria has this awesome mix of classical guitar, violin, and electric guitar. When these two combine, you hear how great it is together. Sure, classical guitar is beautiful enough on its own. But when you add the awesome, new age electric, it creates a surge of even more awesomeness.

    To sum it all up, music is godly, maybe in ways we don't even know.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEsnX4utdyQ
    (Welcome Home-Coheed and Cambria)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha I LOVE this video. I have ever since I saw it a few years ago, back when it was a youtube sensation. I don't know if you'll know this, but after this video came out, some record company or other decided they wanted to sign this talented kid, so they ceaselessly searched for him. I mean, as you'll notice, he doesn't show his face. I'm not sure if they ever found him, but I found it interesting. Anyway, this song is really a cool interpretation of a classic song. I'm not even sure why it's considered Christmas music. Some people use it for their wedding. But yeah, interpreting songs that have been done in one way for a really long time is just as original and difficult as writing the song yourself. It may even be harder to do...

    ReplyDelete

 
Email Me!